What To Do If You Are Injured On The Job

It doesn’t matter what you do for a living, you could end up injured on the job. Perhaps you expect something like that might happen if you work with heavy equipment or machinery or you play professional sports, but you might not expect on the job injuries if you’re a school teacher or you work in an office where the most exciting thing that happens all day is lunch. On the job injuries can happen anywhere and anytime. If you are hurt at work, you should know how to handle the situation appropriately from the start.

See Your Doctor Immediately

“Whether you’re injured seriously or not, seeing a medical professional immediately following a workplace accident can not only save your life but also help your workman’s comp or personal injury claim,” according to personal injury attorney Stephen Babcock. If your injuries are serious, you want to seek medical attention right away to help you recover faster. If your injuries aren’t severe or even apparent, you might assume you don’t need to see the doctor.

Always see a doctor. Some injuries are internal and only grow worse as they become more apparent. Furthermore, if your accident was due to the negligence of your company or manufacturer error, your injuries should be documented right away to make for a strong personal injury case. Lack of immediate medical care can hinder a personal injury case.

Notify Work

Now that you’ve obtained medical care or called for it, let your boss know what happened at work. Most people are going to find this occurs immediately after the accident, but it’s not always the case. If your immediate boss or the owner of the company isn’t there when you’re injured to help you obtain medical care or witness the accident, you should notify them of the accident. You’ll need to file paperwork with your company, they’ll need to file paperwork with their insurance company, and you’ll need to file a statement.

You have 30 days to notify your employer you were injured at work, but it’s better to notify them right away. Know you must inform your employer of your injury and the cause of the accident not only in person but also in writing. State laws require a written statement detailing and outlining the accident.

File Worker’s Compensation Forms

You must file form C-3 and mail it to your local Worker’s Compensation Board. Your employer should provide you with this document so you can move on with the process, but you can also obtain it online or by calling your worker’s comp representative. This form is mandatory, but you do have two years from the date of your injury to file it with the board.

The board will reach out to you when they receive your paperwork to handle your case. You should be available to answer questions, to discuss your case, and to help with medical documents supporting your injuries. This is not always easy to understand, so you might want to hire a legal representative to help you understand what you should do.

Contact an Attorney

On the job injuries are delicate situations. Your health is the most important thing you should focus on once you’re injured, but you might also have a case. Your worker’s compensation benefits should provide you the financial help you need when you are injured at work, but sometimes things happen to prevent this from happening. Using the wrong word in your statement, failing to inform the proper channels in the mandatory timeline, and even a boss or company who decides to fight the claim can hinder your financial and medical future.

An attorney can help you navigate the muddy waters associated with on the job injuries. Even if you have a fairly straightforward case and your company is working with you, someone who knows the law and understands the legal terms associated with a case like this is beneficial to have on your team. You’re not required to file a personal injury lawsuit if you don’t want to or need to, but a personal injury attorney can help with lengthy and complicated paperwork.